Dear Upper School Families,
Effective this year, Prairie School is changing from a trimester system to a semester system. In the Upper School, that shift requires a related change in our course credit structure. This letter explains that credit shift and its implications for graduation requirements and cumulative GPA.
Previously, under the trimester system, we assigned and required credits as follows:
- Yearlong every-day course = 3 credits
- Trimester every-day course = 1 credit
- Trimester alternating-day course = 0.5 credit
- Minimum graduation credit requirement = 69
Effective this year, under the semester system, we will assign and require credits as follows:
- Yearlong every-day course = 1 credit
- Semester every-day course = 0.5 credit
- Semester alternating-day course = 0.25 credit
- Minimum graduation credit requirement = 22.5
We will continue to weight AP courses with an additional 1.0 credit.
Minimum course distribution requirements will also remain the same, except in PE, as follows:
- English: 4 years plus Public Speaking
- Social Studies: 3 years
- Math: 3 years
- Science: 3 years
- World Language: 3 years
- Visual and Performing Arts: 1 year (equivalent to every day)
- Physical Education: Required freshman course combination, plus ONE* additional activity class anytime in grades 9-12 (*Reduction applies retroactively to all continuing students.)
All continuing students’ transcripts have been converted retroactively to the new credit structure. This letter and updated transcripts (for gr. 10-12) will be mailed to all Upper School families on August 16.
If you have questions about any of this, please contact the Upper School office (752-2626).
Co-Director of College Counseling
Head of Upper School