Nestled between two large cities, Chicago and Milwaukee, you’ll find an academic gem along the shores of Lake Michigan in Wind Point, Wisconsin. With a Frank Lloyd Wright architectural design, the 365,000 square foot campus welcomes you with 32 acres of green space. The Prairie School is a student-centered, college preparatory, independent day school currently serving 650 students from age three through 12th grade. With a team of outstanding faculty from all over the world, that possess a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, Prairie provides a joyous, collaborative work environment with small class sizes.
Our school prides itself on:
• Excellent working conditions
• A competitive salary commensurate with experience and degree
• Comprehensive benefits package
• A purposefully small administration that empowers teachers as professionals who control their own pedagogy and curriculum
• Hard work and a continuous growth mindset
• Being doers — not delegators
• A culture that focuses on relationships — knowing, valuing, supporting, and challenging our students and each other to be our best selves
Voted the #1 "Best Place to Work"
in Southeastern Wisconsin!
2019 Best Places to Work Awards, Large Category (Milwaukee Business Journal)
Insurance & Payroll
- Health Insurance: Medical and prescription drug benefits are available to full-time employees.
- Dental Insurance: Dental benefits are available to full-time employees.
- Vision Insurance: Vision benefits are available to full-time employees.
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Full-time employees are eligible to participate in a (Dependent Care annual maximum and/or Health Care annual maximum) Reimbursement Account.
- Employer Paid Life Insurance: Full-time employees are eligible for life insurance 2 x salary, not to exceed $100,00.00.
- Employer Paid Long Term Disability
- Employee Paid Voluntary Life Insurance: Full-time employees are eligible to apply for voluntary life insurance not to exceed $300,00.00 (subject to approval).
- Defined Contribution Retirement Plan (TIAA CREF): All eligible* employees of Prairie participate in this mandatory plan.
*Eligible employees: all employees employed for 1,000 hours or more per year.
- Payroll: Payroll is distributed through direct deposit paid on the 15th and last day of each month.
Perks & Opportunities
- Professional Enrichment and Grant Opportunities
- Johnson Athletic Center – Fitness Center: Employees can make use of the Fitness Center and all programs offered to employees with no membership fee. Class participation fees may apply.
- Lunch: Available at no cost to employees while school is in session.
- Faculty Appreciation Events
- Discounted “used” computer tech sale
- Computer buy-back program
- On-campus one-on-one financial counseling with a pension plan representative
- Tickets at Work discounts
This information is a summary of The Prairie School benefits. As this is just a summary, benefits are based strictly on the official plan documents or policies.
- Wind Point > Milwaukee (20 miles)
- Wind Point > Chicago (60 miles)
- Wind Point > Madison (85 miles)
- Wind Point > Green Bay (120 miles)
- Phone interviews
- Face-to-Face/Group or Skype interviews (optional)
- On-Campus interviews
- Tour of Campus
- Interview with Division Heads
- Interview with Department Chair(s)
- Observe a Class
- Teach a Class (formal student feedback collected)
- Complete a writing sample (usually on the observation of class)
- Panel Interview(s)
- Interview with Human Resource Director
- Interview with Head of School
- Reference Check
- Background/Education Verification Check
- Hiring Decision
- The Offer of Employment
- Appointment Letter
- Onboarding Online and In-Person
The Prairie School is a community of students, faculty, and families who care for and respect one another, celebrating both our differences and commonalities. We value the representation and full engagement of individuals whose differences include, but are not limited to, age, ethnicity, family makeup, gender, learning profile, physical ability, race, religion, sexual identity, and socioeconomic status.
We acknowledge that inclusivity is a complex idea to define and quantify. Beyond multicultural personal identities, The Prairie School embraces diversity of thought, culture, and all that may be unseen but also subject a person to preferential or disadvantageous treatment. We believe that inclusivity makes our students, faculty, and community members wiser and better able to fulfill our mission of promoting lifelong individual and collective growth.